I’m sitting here literally laughing at myself as I just typed the title of this post. I have been diligently working and learning all about blogging….and I LOVE it! As you all know, blogging is all about writing about what you love and sharing it with others. In order to share, you have to make yourself known…and this of course mostly happens through social media. So WHY am I writing an article about Social Media Fasting???
As much as I truly love technology and everything social media, I also love everything family! I have had many debates with others over the years about the positives vs. the negatives of social media. Both sides have very valid points, but for me it’s a good thing. I have reconnected with so many people I had lost touch with…followed family fun of others…enjoyed seeing pictures…celebrated milestones with my children’s friends that have grown up and started work and now have families of their own. This list goes on and on.
However, I do think taking a break from social media…short, intermittent breaks….can bring many positives into your world. Try this for 24 hours. Then try it once a week or once a month. I’m betting you will be very surprised. I just finished a 24-hour fast from social media and game apps. I surrounded myself with blank paper and books. Every time I went to pick up my phone to check the latest updates, I set it down and picked up a book or paper instead. Those books were about prayer and positive writings. I then prayed after I read each time.
I have been following a local family that has gone through a great tragedy with their children. I tried this fasting upon the request from a large following that asked everyone to give up something and pray in return for the family. I am a strong believer in the power of prayer, but I have gained more from this than what I expected. You, too, can follow this family on Facebook ~ Light for Levi and Lainey.
What I Gained From Social Media Fasting ~
- More time in prayer, not only for this very precious family, but for my own!
- Relaxation – my brain relaxed!
- Sleep – Ahhhh, this was amazing and I’m assuming it was because of the above bullet point!
- Time to read – something I love but tend to put off to play “just one more game!”
- More time to communicate with my family….talking and LISTENING! I have been working on listening lately. Really listening. My mind is so often moving on to the next thing that I have realized I do listen, but I’m not always fully “hearing”…or my head is buried in my phone too much to listen intently.
What I Expect to Gain Long Term ~
I am setting a date on my calendar to do a 24-hour fast each month. Eventually it may be each week, but I want to take it slow so I can make it stick. I have no intention of giving up social media…I love it too much! Just taking time once a month to make myself enjoy the other things in life I have put on the back burner. Once you start letting those other important elements back into your life, you may find how much you miss them.
What to Do While Fasting ~
- Read! Read passages in the Bible, self help books or that novel you have been wanting to dig in to! Did you know that you can do a quick search on Amazon of New York Times current best sellers….it doesn’t get any easier than that!!! I’ve put a quick link in for you here to check it out: New York Times Best Sellers
- Write! Jot down what is in your head, write poetry, write a letter (remember snail mail???), write a story…just write! I love to have loads of different pens and paper available for this. I have recently become an affiliate of a couple of really cool stationery companies..I hope you will check them out!
- I have only recently discovered Stampington & Company and I adore their stationery supplies. They have amazing products in their Coloring Studio and tons of unique magazines for every niche possible. Stampington & Company has BEAUTIFUL options of crafting supplies & magazines!
- Another new love of mine is Paper House. Their motto is: Where Imagination Takes Shape. They have loads of fun products for adults and kids alike. Paper House products can be checked out here!!!!
- Yoga! Whether you have done yoga before or not, it is something everyone should look into. So take that social media break and spend some time stretching and destressing! I wrote about this in an earlier blog post. You can do yoga as a family too…Yoga with Meddy Teddy!
- Get Outdoors! There is nothing like fresh air…whether it’s hot or cold! Take a walk, do some yard work or just sit and get some natural vitamin D. Leave the phone inside for a bit!
- Cook! Ok…you can use your phone but ONLY if it is to look up a recipe…don’t cheat….no social media or games!
- Pray and Meditate! It’s just good for your soul! Mark 10:27 ~ All things are possible with God!
- Call Someone! Reach out and catch up with a friend or family member.
Whether it is something from the list above or another favorite hobby, try a little social media fasting and see what a mere 24 hours can do. Seriously, 24 hours doesn’t seem like a long time but I know I sure was amazed by it! I slept better and woke up with a fantastic start to my day feeling good about what I had read the night before!
It’s Time for A Challenge!
Are you up for it? Subscribe to my page and work along with me! Let’s do a 24 hour challenge once a week for the next 4 weeks. #SMFChallengewithMimi. Respond in the comments or click on the subscribe button (at the right on desktop or at the bottom of the blog on phone) so we can support each other. What are you waiting for????
Loving Life ~ Shelly (Mimi)