It’s 6 days away folks…Shark Week 2020 airs from Sunday, August 9 to Sunday, August 16. I’m sure if you take a poll about people’s favorite animals you will rarely get the answer of shark. Then why is it that there is such a frenzy around shark week every year? Because they are fascinating creatures! The episodes are not only fascinating to watch, but the week as a whole becomes a flurry of themed food and crafts. Check out these fun shark games and crafts to make learning about sharks more exciting at your house.
Shark Alphabet Game:
As you can imagine, we are joining in on the fun! There are a vast amount of fun ideas out there! Check out this fun idea for toddlers and preschoolers! I love how they cut out fish in various colors and put letters on each one. What a fun way to work with letters for preschoolers while working with colors for toddlers….definitely a bonus when you can find an activity that reaches different age groups. Of course, you can also have the older kids spell different words before feeding the fish to the shark. Another benefit of this activity is the kids can jump in and help cut out the fish. Addi is loving learning how to cut right now.
Another fun idea is making sharks out of clothespins.
Supplies Needed ~
- Acrylic paint – gray, red, blue, white
- Poster board
- Paint brushes
- Google eyes
- Hot glue or strong hold craft glue
- Depending on age of your children, either paint ahead or have the children help paint the clothespin(s) in blue or gray. Acrylic paint dries pretty fast.
- While clothespins are drying, cut out one dorsal fin, one tail fin and two pectoral fins for each shark.
- Glue the fins in place with hot glue or strong craft glue. Once glue has dried, pain the fins to match the shark.
- Squeeze open the shark mouth and paint red inside.
- Cut shark teeth out of cardboard using zigzag pattern (or zigzag scissors if you have them.) Glue the teeth in place.
- Glue eyes on top of clothespin.
As we prepare at our house for a week filled with shark excitement, I will be sharing all the fun ideas we find with you. If you have any great ideas, please be sure to share them in the comments at the end of this post!
Links for Shark games, puzzles and crafts below~
Paper House Productions: A fun new site I recently discovered. Check them out in this link. Once you are on their site, click on animals in the options at the left and you will find an Animal Match Up Game Set that includes and Ocean set . Bonus…it’s on sale right now!
KimmyShop.com: Another fun site I just found. Check out this link for an awesome Discovery Channel Shark Week – Shark Selfie 3D Lenticular Puzzle in either 100 or 500 pieces.
Amazon: As always, Amazon is a great go to for all of your games and crafts. You can use the links below to get setup for the week of shark fun!