Are you trying to squeeze the last bit of family fun into the remaining days of summer? Why not plan a family date night? Our family headed out to Wild Blackberry Farms for the inaugural Blackberry Festival. While it can be difficult (but oh so worth it!) to find a night that works in everyone’s schedule, this was so worth the planning of our Blackberry Festival family date night!
I’ve had many people ask me how we knew about this particular festival. I agree that it is hard to know about every fun event around you, but it led me to look into festival informational sites. Each state has many local resources, but I also found a couple of sites that you can search all 50 states….
Blackberry Festival Family Date Night Activities ~
U-Pick Blackberries ~
This particular festival was a smaller fare, but not short on fun family activities. We started out with the U-pick blackberries. I wasn’t sure how much the younger ones would enjoy this part, but they loved it! We had a quick lesson on which berries were ready to pick and everyone headed out with their buckets. They had so much fun searching the rows for the ripest berries! Also important here is that it kept them entertained for quite a long time!
What was even better was they could pick down low on their own while also enjoying a little help up from the family members.
Face Painting ~
This is the part of the festival that the littles were looking forward to the most. In fact, it was so much fun that kids AND adults got in on the fun. Aunt Karleigh and Pappy had their faces painted to match the kids, which made them so happy!
Food Trucks, Family Games, Petting Zoo, Photo Opps ~
Whether you are on a diet or not, you HAVE to eat the festival food! Am I right? So many yummy choices from lemon shakeups to bbq sandwiches of all kinds! Of course, if you look closely at this picture you will see that some blackberries were definitely enjoyed along the way as well!
Other Family Date Night Ideas ~
While I definitely recommend festivals for a fun family date night, don’t let that keep you from planning other fun activities. Plan a family date night once a month. This a routine that will defnitely help to forge strong family bonds. **On these special nights, be sure to put those phones out of place and concentrate on the family unit!
Family Date Night Ideas ~
- Park Hopping – take a bit of time to map out local parks and go to several of them in one day. It’s so much fun to see what equipment each park has to offer and discover which is each child’s favorite.
- Splash Party – Put those bathing suits on…you too parents…and have some good old water fun. Have plenty of squirt guns, water balloons, maybe a slip and slide and a small kids pool (for both swimming and refilling those water guns) on hand.
- Bowling – Have you done this in a while? For some reason we had ventured away from bowling and recently got back to it….the kids LOVE to bowl!
- Scavenger Hunt – You can plan a scavenger hunt in your own house or yard or better yet, break off into teams and run around the neighborhood looking for items.
- Glow in the Dark Fun – Purchase some glow sticks and glow jewelry (they almost always have them at the Dollar Store) and turn out all the lights for some fun family glow in the dark fun! Add in some dancing or hide and seek!
- Backyard Movies – There is a large assortment of video projectors available. I do suggest going ahead and purchasing one with a screen as well. I tried the cheaper route at first and tried to use a white sheet…the image wasn’t sharp enough with that. Check out this video projector with screen for outdoor family fun!
- Family Cooking – Plan, Cook and Eat the meal together. Be sure to let the little ones help with the cooking…they will love it. For extra fun, add some fun candles and pick some flowers from the yard for a beautifully set table.
- Dance Party – You guys, this is a win-win here! Not only will there be lots of giggles, but it’s a good workout too!
- Family Puzzle – My all-time favorite puzzles are the ones that have different size pieces so everyone can take part in the puzzle. Check out this fun family puzzle with small, medium, and large sized pieces!
- Family Room Sleepover – Gather ALL of the blankets and pillows and make a big living room fort…but you also ALL have to sleep in it! Have fun!
These are just a few fun ideas to create family fun. The most important part of all of it is that everyone engages, you add in some good munchies and put down those phones. Have some laugh until your belly aches fun with those kids!
Back To Those Yummy Blackberries ~
The fun continues as we decide what yummy recipes we are going to make with our buckets of blackberries. Of course, we head straight to Pinterest! Wow! Seriously, do a quick search on blackberry recipes! How do you decide on what you want to make? I think I may have to figure out how to succesfully plant our own blackberry patch because I want to make SO MANY of these recipes!
This time around we are going with the Old Fashioned Blackberry Cobbler. I prefer the cobblers where you cook the berries like this recipe from Saving Room for Dessert…Old Fasioned Blackberry Cobbler by Saving Room for Dessert. I will be sure to let you know how it turns out!
Cheeres to each of you enjoying the rest of your summer and some good family fun!
From Our Family to Yours ~
This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a small commission at no cost to you if you make a purchase.
We’re going fruit picking with my husband’s family next week, we can’t wait. It’s so much fun.
Hi Smell! What kind of fruits will your family be picking? Such a fun family time for all! Enjoy!
Strawberries, raspberries and whatever I can get my hands on. I’d like blackcurrants but the boys don’t like them.
This looks like a blast. I want to do this with my family. You have a lovely looking family. I have to try some of your other suggestions like backyard movies and glow in the dark parties. You don’t have to wait for a special occasion to have a party. I love it!
It really was so much fun! I totally agree too…you do not have to wait for special occasions to have a party or a fun night with the family….I hope you try some of the ideas out and let me know how it went! Thanks for the compliment too!