If you are anything like me, you are always searching for new and exciting recipes. Sometimes, those recipes can be similar to ones you have already made, but you need only to change up the method in which you serve them! Through the years I have heard people say, “Why do you worry about so many small details?” My response is always…”Presentation is Key!”
This very topic is what helped me to discover personal-sized cast iron skillets. I love cooking with the small skillets both for presentation and to have the ability to cater to each individual’s personal preferences in foods. These Hearty Personal Breakfast Skillets are a big hit on Sunday mornings in our family.
Which Skillets to Use ~
There are so many wonderful skillets out there, however, we tend to lean toward the Lodge brand. The benefits of this brand are as follows:
- Retain heat well
- Can be used on stovetop, in oven, on grill or over an open fire
- Lifetime warranty
- Long-standing history of quality products
- Can be used for everything from frying to sauteing, to broiling and everything in between
- Have a large variety of sizes and different series
- Easy to find locally and on-line
Size to Use for Hearty Personal Breakfast Skillet ~
We use the Lodge Pre-Seasoned 6-1/2 Inch Skillet for the breakfast skillet as well as many other individualized recipes. It is a good idea to have 6 to 8 if you are planning on serving several people. I use them many times for just Brad and I as well, so if you are empty nesters, it is fun to get 2 and have fun creating! *Pay close attention to the size because many brands have an even smaller size that is not big enough for this savory dish!
What is even better about these is that you can create savory or sweet recipes in them. Who doesn’t like digging into a steaming hot personal pan brownie or cookie topped with ice cream? Yum! These have quickly become known as pizookies!
Ingredients for 6 Personal Skillets:
- 14 Red potatoes, cubed small
- 10 Sausage patties, crumbled
- 6 Ham slices, cut into small squares
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 Bell peppers, color(s) of choice, cubed
- 2 Anaheim peppers, diced
- 12 – 14 Eggs
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Milk
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Shredded cheddar cheese
*Please note, you can customize these ingredients to your liking. Other topping ideas:
- Mozzarella, Swiss, Gruyere, Fontina, Gouda or your favorite cheese of choice
- Black Olives
- Hash Browns
Directions for 6 Hearty Personal Breakfast Skillets ~
- Brown sausage. I used patties because that is what I had on hand. (You can, of course, use any type as you will be crumbling it after cooked.)
- While sausage is cooking, continue chopping the rest of the veggies and ham.
- Cook chopped potatoes, onions, and peppers until browned in a separate small skillet.
- Layer sausage and ham in prepared 6 1/2″ skillets.
- Follow with cooked potatoes and veggies.
- Season liberally with Montreal Steak Seasoning and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat eggs with milk until completely combined.
- Pour egg mixture over meat and veggies in each skillet.
- Top with desired amount of cheese. (We love cheese so I completely cover the skillet.)
- I placed each skillet on foil lined baking sheets to protect oven from spillage.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until browned.
*You can exclude necessary ingredients to create a Keto version.
Want To Top It With Gravy? ~
Let’s take it a step further and add gravy. You can go the traditional route and make gravy from scratch or you can make it from a mix. I use Pioneer Country Sausage Gravy Packets when not making gravy from scratch. Season it up with salt and pepper and it becomes the perfect final topping for this delicious recipe!
Make Ahead ~
Holiday season is upon us. Chop up all of your ingredients ahead of time for prep and put together early Christmas morning. Put your coffee on and assemble these before the Christmas present frenzy begins. While you are all opening presents, this delicious breakfast can be cooking and filling the room with scents of a cozy Christmas morning!
If you are in a pinch for time, put it all in one large skillet to scoop out individual servings when ready!
Serving Choices ~
As you can imagine, the skillets are extremely hot when taking out of oven. I love to serve these yummy dishes with quilted handle covers for functionality and to keep the presentation fun! Basic Black Set of 3 Skillet Handle Covers are a good place to start for your collection!
Of course, these fun bandana ones are adorable for many occasions as well! Are these not the cutest???
Crafty Hands Primitive has a large assortment of colors to choose from to match any season/holiday/theme you wish. Be sure to look at the beautiful patterns by CraftyHandsPrimitive on Etsy by clicking here!
Care of Iron Skillets ~
I had never cooked with an iron skillet until I got married. Brad quickly taught me the beauty of using them, but even then I shied away from them because I was unsure how to care for them. I soon realized that they truly are very easy to clean. This is all you need to clean your cast iron skillet:
What’s even better is that this fun idea has come to you just in time for Christmas. Whether adding them to your Christmas wish list or surprising someone special, a set of single-serving sized iron skillets will be sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face! Soon I will bringing you a cookbook featuring a variety of iron skillet recipes just like this delicious hearty breakfast skillet!
Happy Cooking ~
This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a small commission at no cost to you if you make a purchase.